Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Summer of the Cucumber

Around our house we are calling this summer, "The Summer of the Cucumber." Cucumbers are one of Kaylee's favorite vegetables. In previous years, we have had difficulty growing cucumbers for various reasons. I have learned to plant extra plants so we can still have cucumbers even if we lose a few plants. In the spring, I planted 4 plants in our Earthboxes on our deck and 4 plants in our new raised garden bed. I figured I would lose a few plants. Boy, was I wrong! Not only did our plants thrive, but we have had an overabundance of cucumbers!

In order to preserve some cucumbers we decided to try pickling them. The first batch I made refrigerator pickles. Refrigerator pickles do not require any canning. You simply boil the brine solution, pour it into jars filled with cut up cucumbers, and refrigerate. Then, wait a few days and eat them.

A few days later, we had a lot more cucumbers. I decided to actually can these cucumbers to eat later this year. I have only canned once before. I researched how to can pickled cucumbers and the homeschool lesson began.

Kaylee loves to help. I sliced up the pickles and she helped by stuffing them into the jars. She watched each step of the process and was quite excited to learn a new skill!


Stuffing the jars with cut up cucumbers. 

She loves to help. 
Some jars ready for the brine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment