Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Montessori North America Pin Map

Before studying North America, we learned the names of each continent and ocean. I used the idea and 3 part cards from Imagine Our Life except that I didn't sew anything. I can't sew. I used our wooden puzzle map and a paper map of the world to help Kaylee learn to identify each continent and ocean.

We also studied important landmarks from around the world. The idea was also from Imagine Our Life and used the Around the World Toob and World Landmark Toob from Safari Ltd and Montessori three-part cards from Imagine Our Life to recognize and then place each item on the map.

When we began studying North America, I used the Animals of North America 3 part cards from Imagine Our Life and Toob animals to study some of the animals in North America. Of course, I didn't do any sewing. We just put the animals onto our map.

For some reason, I didn't take any pictures of Kaylee doing those activities. It is quite strange that I didn't take ANY pictures. I guess we were just so involved in doing them that I forgot. The next time we do those activities I will have to take pictures and then post them.

Recently, I had a rare few hours to myself. During this time, I began to create a few Montessori materials I've been meaning to complete. Instead of buying the official wooden North America pin map and spending a lot of money, I went to Montessori Print Shop and bought the PDF for the Geography Pin Map of North America. It is used to teach the country names and flag identification of each North American country. On the flags that I used, the country name is on the back for self correction.

Beginning to make the Montessori North America pin map.
There are directions on how to make the North American pin map on the Montessori Print Shop website that can be found here. It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it was going to take and I made it while I was catching up on some tv.

Kaylee came home while I was in the middle of making the pin map. She had to try it out right away. 


Kaylee had to try it out before I was even finished making it. 

I really like how it turned out. I will be using Montessori Print Shop for our other pin maps and for completing our North America Geography folder. Montessori sure is a lot of fun for all of us!




No comments:

Post a Comment