Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Artist Study: Picasso

I decided I needed more structure this school year. I bought a basic Montessori curriculum and ordered many more materials. I often print out materials and use them instead of the traditional wooden Montessori materials. I do this because the materials are quite expensive. If I feel as if a paper version would serve just as well, then that's what we use. I try to find a free printable, but sometimes I buy the file and download it. 

The curriculum I bought is good, but very basic. I didn't spend a whole lot of money on it either. Anyway, it doesn't include an artist study. I searched the internet and found this great artist study. The first volume is free and the second is only $5.50. It uses books from the library and materials we already have at home. It's perfect for us! We got it here

The first artist we studied is Picasso. That is just right for us because in 2011 we briefly learned about Picasso before visiting the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond. There was a travelling exhibit called: Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musee Picasso, Paris.  It was the only east coast exhibit on the tour. We had to go see it. Kaylee was 4 and her interest only lasted a few minutes, but she remembered it. It was a great start for our artist study.

We read the Picasso book, began making our World's Greatest Artists lapbook, and followed the lessons. 

Kaylee reproducing Picasso's "Girl Before a Mirror." 

At the end of the Picasso study, Kaylee wanted to create her own cubism art. 

Kaylee's cubism art titled, "Girl with a Dog."







No comments:

Post a Comment